The Leadership Board is the official governing body for First Church. The Leadership Board holds the Senior Pastor and Director-Level staff accountable to the mission and vision of First Church. The Leadership Board is accountable to the Capital Area South District and the West Ohio Conference of the United Methodist Church.
The Leadership Board incorporates all major United Methodist committees of Administrative Board, Nominations, Finance, Trustees and Staff Parish into subcommittees within the Board. The Board consists of 12 lay members of First Church and the Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor for a total of 14 Board members. The Board carries out 5 major roles:
The 5 Major Roles of the Board
- Assist in clarifying God's vision and overall course for First Church: The Leadership Board in conjunction with the Senior Pastor convey God's vision for First Church and see to it that the mission is lived out in the ministry of First.
- Serve as role models: The Board serves as role models of what it means to be admirable members of First Church by living out the core beliefs, principles and practices that the staff is working to build into the church.
- Create task forces or subcommittees: The Leadership Board may create ad hoc groups consisting of members of the Leadership Board and/or qualified people of the church as needed for the execution of special projects.
- Actively grow in leadership skills: The Leadership Board will actively pursue and participate in continuing learning opportunities that relate to the mission of the church.
- Approve policy: The Board authorizes various ministry issues including by not limited to:
- Annual Budget: The Board approves the annual budget which is prepared by the staff each year.
- Director-Level hiring decisions: The Board is involved in hiring/firing decisions of director-level staff positions.
- Trustees functions: all land acquisition, facility construction, major renovation, significant legal obligation, and decisions that affect the congregation as a whole.
- New Leadership Board Members: The Board does an annual evaluation and review of its members and makes decisions regarding new members.
It is a pleasure for us to serve alongside all those connected to First Church. We look forward to fulfilling the mission of "Transforming People into Fully-Submitted Followers of Christ"and our vision of "Winning Our Communities for Christ."